Sunday 20 July 2014

Healthy Banana & Date Loaf


Ah, Sunday mornings. Unless I've been out the night before, this is the time of the week I feel the most refreshed, relaxed and content. As I start my new job tomorrow (nervous pervous!), I thought I would relax and do some baking and food prep for the week ahead. 

I started off with a healthy banana and date loaf as we had some over ripe bananas which needed using up, and what better way to use these delightful fruits than in a healthy loaf. 




I adapted the recipe from this one, which proudly proclaims to be whole wheat, vegan, sugar free and oil free. Unfortunately, my loaf can only claim to be two of those things, mainly due to my lack of whole wheat flour and flax seed. So here is my sugar and oil free healthy banana & date loaf.

You will need:

- 2 cups flour (whole wheat or plain, your choice)
-2 cups mashed banana (overripe)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dates
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp sunflower seeds


Preheat the oven to 150 degrees celsius.


Grab those bananas and a fork and do the banana mash!


In a big bowl, add the mashed banana, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, salt and cinnamon and mix well.


Grab some dates and chop away.


Add them to the mixture and combine.


Crack in the eggs and stir till it's all nicely combined together.


Fold the mixture into a greased loaf pan and sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top.


Bake for 50 minutes until golden on the outside. Remove and allow the loaf to cool. 


Slice the loaf into thick chunks and serve with a cup of tea. I think it's best plain, however peanut butter would be a great spread on top for a healthy and filling breakfast.



Rosie
x

No comments :

Post a Comment