Wednesday 9 July 2014

For The Love of Hummus

Hummus is one of those foods I don't think I could live without. The type of food that if I were stuck on a deserted island I would crave, long for and cry myself to sleep thinking about. Okay, I may be slightly over exaggerating, but you get the idea.

Despite this enormous love, I have never made my own. Until today. Molly and I decided to have a go, and I don't think we will ever look back!

We followed this BBC recipe roughly.



To make the simplest and scrummiest hummus ever:

240g can of chickpeas
2-3 TBSP lemon juice
Pinch of salt
1 heaped TSP lazy garlic
1-2 TSP ground cumin
4 TBSP water
2-3 TBSP olive oil
1 TSP paprika
1-2 TBSP sunflower seeds/sesame seeds



Drain the chickpeas and wash them under cold water, before placing them into a bowl.



Add the paprika, cumin, salt, water, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and sunflower seeds (PHEW) and mix together.



Once mixed, use a hand blender (or food processor if you prefer) to blend it all together into a creamy puree. Add more water if the mixture isn't creamy enough.


Transfer into a sealable container and store in the fridge. Enjoy with crudities, pitta bread, on salads, in sandwiches, and however else it takes your fancy.



Molly and I toasted some pitta breads, spread them with hummus, stuffed with salad and falafel and enjoyed as an al fresco lunch.

There is nothing like eating home made!

Rosie
x

No comments :

Post a Comment