Monday 17 March 2014

Playing Tourists at Liverpool Cathedral

I am a sucker for all things touristy. I love taking a slow stroll around cathedrals, museums, art galleries, and all other touristy type attractions. It's what I love about going somewhere new, and the reason I enjoyed my summer inter-railing trip so much, and the reason I am planning round 2 for this summer!

So when James came up for the weekend I thought we should play tourists and visit Liverpool Cathedral, where, despite studying here for a year and a half, I have never visited. It's a fact of life, particularly for students, that we neglect the wonderful attractions right on our door steps. So with this in mind, I want to visit all the touristy places in Liverpool before I graduate!




As you approach the Cathedral the sheer size of it becomes apparent. Although I had seen it from across campus before, I had never fully considered the huge scale it has, and it really is magnificent. 



The architecture is incredible. Amazingly, it was only finished in the 1970's, but it has a real gothic feel to it.


We were both in awe, even James, who isn't so taken in by architecture and religious buildings as I am.









I urge anybody residing in the Liverpool area to take a trip to the Cathedral. You can also do a tour of the tower which apparently has spectacular views of Liverpool, and during the summer months you can even do this in the evening. I think seeing Liverpool lit up to the backdrop of the setting sun would be a wonderful sight. So get out there and explore your University city while you can!

Rosie
x

No comments :

Post a Comment