Sunday 12 May 2013

Atomic by name



‘And you found he was an Oxford man’
-F. Scott Fitzgerald: Great Gatsby

(Firstly, apologies for my lack of blogging over the past week. What with the stress of university exams taking over almost every waking thought, I have had little time to think about/do anything else!)

There is nothing which beats exam stress and end of fresher year blues like a nice weekend away. I am lucky enough to have the opportunity to visit many a wonderful place to visit my friends and family, but Oxford is by far my favourite. Being in a long distance relationship isn’t easy, but the prospect of long weekends in Oxford seems to speed time up somewhat.

So last Thursday after a long week of lectures and revising, I boarded the train down South. The weather was absolutely wonderful, allowing a stroll along the river side and a few early evening drinks in the beer gardens of Oxford. I recommend the Head of the River pub which is along the river Thames, not far from the city centre, whose beer garden is far superior to most.
I could go on about Oxford all day, the beauty of the architecture, the cobbled pavements and the little cafes hidden from the busy streets of the centre. However, this blog is largely about one thing. Burgers.




I, like I’m sure many of you, am a big fan of a good burger. I have searched high and low for a burger which tops all others. And I think I may quest may be complete. In the bustling student area of Cowley Road are two twinned restaurants, Atomic Burger and Atomic Pizza. And believe me when I say, they are like nothing you have seen before (unless you’ve been to the Bristol one of course!).  




Inside this restaurant is like a paradise for grown up kids everywhere. The comic book menus, vintage cartoons playing on the wall and dozens of toys stuck to the walls are enough to make any student forget about exam stress. But the best bit (and possibly the hardest) is choosing off the menu! 

After much deliberation, my date and I opted to share a starter of ‘Scooby Snack Tater Tots’. These were just as described and were an awesome blend of tastes for the palate.



The hardest part was choosing a burger. When you look at the menu they all pop out at once! We were both very happy with our choices, my date going for a ‘Boris Karloff’ and me a ‘Sergio Leoni’. (Check the website out if you want to see the ingredients of each or just have a laugh at the brilliant names; http://atomicburger.co.uk/)



Also a big shout out to the shakes they do, absolutely delicious. If these pictures haven't got you ready to tuck into a big juicy burger, well then I don't know what will. 

Rosie
x

No comments :

Post a Comment